Every year World Read Aloud Day calls global attention to the importance of reading aloud and sharing stories. This year, Castleberry ISD Teacher-Librarians partnered with Mrs. Stacie Adams, Secondary English Curriculum Coordinator, to celebrate reading and literature across all campuses. Students from kindergarten through seniors joined teachers and staff in decorating a book square that represented either their favorite read-aloud or the most impactful book they have ever read. The squares were then fashioned together to create a campus book quilt that displayed an eclectic mix of literary interests.
In addition to the quilts, each campus planned their own activities in recognition of the event.
CHS: Three Journey classes dedicated to reading discussions, culminating in an all-school Twitter chat on Thursday (February 16) at 9:40 am (#cisdwrad) moderated by Assistant Superintendent Mrs. Renee Smith-Faulkner (@faulknerr). CISD community members are invited to participate in the chat as well.
IMMS: 7th Grade read aloud of Princess X for students participating in the book club and promotion of the North Texas Teen Book Festival.
A.V. Cato Elementary
- Special Guest reader, former college and pro football player Shaun Smith, will be at AV Cato on Thursday, February 16 from 9:30 - 11:00 reading aloud in classes.
AV Cato kicks off our 'In My Corner: Readers and Leaders book club. Shaun will be visiting AVC monthly. On Thursday, Shaun will visit classrooms to read aloud some of his favorite books. http://www.shaunsmith91ways.org/
- AV Cato will be creating a special book quilt with favorite books
- Flip Grid - Come to the library and/or record in your classroom on Thursday/Friday
- Local author, Author Andrea Rand on Thursday, February 16 with 4th grade and virtually connecting with 4 other schools. Andrea will read a chapter from her book and chat about making magic with words. www.andrearand.com
- Encourage classrooms to spend some time reading aloud this week!
- 9 a.m. Veronica Clark River Oaks Public Librarian reads to 2nd grade.
- 11 a.m. Mr. Ramos reads to 5th grade literary Non-Fiction
- 12:00 Skype with author Rubin Pingk for 3rd grade & 1st grade
- 2:30 p.m. Bilingual Read Aloud "Groovy Joe" for all bilingual students.
- All 3rd, 4th & 5th graders who are not in Achieve 3000 will participate in an online discussion during their PLC time using Flipgrid & Google Classroom.
Joy James Elementary:
- Kindergarten participated in a Fancy Nancy Read Aloud party on Tuesday, February 14.
- PreK-1st created a paper book quilt.
2nd-5th graders created a felt quilt square representing their favorite book. Squares will be assembled, and the quilt will be displayed in the JJE Library. Throughout the remainder of the school year, teachers and library staff will refer to the quilt to offer suggestions of books to read and to begin conversations about connections to the books and author talks.